St. Pete has just welcomed a new foodie gem to its EDGE business district, and I couldn't be more thrilled! Earlier this week, I was able to help Hawkers Asian Street Fare celebrate its St. Pete grand opening with my girlfriend, Jen, and I can't even begin to explain how amazing the experience was.
If you're headed their way this weekend, you are in for such a treat. Hawkers offers an awesome vibe, with an blend of Asian and industrial interior design. The menu is extensive, offering items from the grill, soups and salads, your typical Asian street fare small plates, and rice and noodles. A wide range of craft brews are also offered.
I'll let the images do the talking:
My must-order picks:
- Roti Canai: This is the most popular of traditional Asian street fare, and it is oh-so-delicious. The flatbread is flaky and the perfect crispy texture, and the curry dipping sauce is extremely savory, with the perfect amount of spice.
- Green Papaya & Shrimp Salad: I wasn't expecting this to be as good as it was - honestly, when it comes to Asian food, my expectations are pretty high, since my mom has always spoiled me with delicious homemade cooking. We eat papaya salad often, and some places just don't get the Vietnamese dressing right. But let me tell you, Hawkers gets it right.
- Malaysian Prawn Mee Soup: If you love seafood flavors as much as I do, this is right up your alley. I loved this dish - it reminded me so much of a soup my mom makes from time to time. The soup has so much flavor, and everything from the noodles to the yow choy was cooked perfectly.
- Grilled Bulgogi Beef Skewers: Oh my goodness, these were absolutely amazing. Perfectly charred, the skewers are so flavorful and paired amazingly with the kim chee. Even if you aren't a fan of kim chee, you must give Hawkers' a try - it's not sour at all, and has a fresh, perfectly spicy flavor and crunchy texture.
- Green Tea & Chocolate Chip Mochi: Okay - so, I think my mochi ended up melting under a heat lamp or something. At first, I thought that was the way it was supposed to look, but after comparing it to images off of Yelp, I'm thinking it just melted haha. But still, the Matcha Green Tea & Chocolate Chip Mochi was the most delicious out of the flavors I chose.
And, if you've got some time during the work week, Hawkers features Hoppy Hour from 3-6 p.m., with select small plates and draft beers for $3 - it can't possibly get any better than that!
Hawkers Asian Street Fare is located at 1235 Central Avenue in St. Pete. The restaurant is open Sunday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Fridays and Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. You can view the menu here.
I had come to Hawkers with the intention to pay for my meal and feature it on the blog, but the manager surprised us by taking care of our meal. As always, opinions expressed here are my own and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Hawkers Asian Street Fare.